Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Fitness Workout

Summer is here and I know that I’ve been searching for the perfect beach body for the last few weeks.  All winter I’ve been ignoring my work-out plan and using the “cold” as a reason to stock up on tasty fattening treats.  But no more.  It’s time to get back in shape for the warm months! So let’s talk about a head-to-toe workout that you can do at home.  I hate going to the gym I always feel just awful when I get there. So here is how to tone each part of your body so that you can get that perfect looking body in your own house with help from some home exercise equipment.  Fitness is an important part of your life, or at least it should be, so try not to forget that during those months of hot chocolate, Christmas dinners and holiday parties.

When I was in high school I used to be on the crew/rowing team.  When I tell people now, they come to some kind of conclusion like, “but your arms don’t look jacked.” Well my friends that is because 75% of rowing is using your legs to kick off.  If you’re looking for rock hard, sexy and slim leg muscles, a rowing machine may be the perfect addition to your home gym.  There are several types that have different abilities and builds.  Some machines use actual water in the pull tank to give you the weight and strength you would use in an actual boat.  Others use a pulley system connected to a large fan belt.  Remember when purchasing a rowing machine that you will be on the floor, or close to it.   This is not a good piece of equipment for older people who have issues getting off the floor.  Make sure you know your limits when purchasing this equipment.

In the last few years elliptical trainers have become the “go to” machine for most gym-goers.  There is still a battle though, elliptical or treadmill? Some say that the elliptical is better for your knees because you are not putting the thud pressure of running on them.  I personally think that the elliptical hurts my knees more because of the range of motion it creates.  But, alas the elliptical has more beneficial properties than the run of the mill treadmill.  An elliptical allows you to train your endurance, legs, butt, thighs and core but also your arms and upper body.  So if you want a full body cardio workout I suggest splurging for a gym-grade elliptical for your home gym.

Now that we have our cardio out of the way time to move onto strength and weight training.  A home gym is perfect for the on the go gym enthusiast who just doesn’t have time to waste moving around at the gym or waiting for someone to get off the equipment.  Most reputable equipment makers now sell fully loaded home gyms that are the same grade material as one that you would find at your local Bally’s or Planet Fitness.  The FreeMotion Carbon Multi Gym is by far my favorite.  It’s a little bit on the pricey side but totally worth the money once you realize what it can do.  With a chin up bar, leg curl area, leg press and press station this gym allows you to work your entire upper and lower body.  You can also mix and match pieces so that you can create the perfect home gym for you and your family.

The final thing that I like to have in my home gym is fitness balls and a free weights set.  Now I know most of you go to the gym and look at the fitness balls and go “I have no clue what to do with this thing.” And just ignore it.  A fitness ball is the perfect addition to a home gym.  I use my fitness ball for my ab workout and leg lifts.  It’s a perfect way to get me off the floor and my back doesn’t hurt as bad when I’m finished.  At first I wasn’t a huge weight lifter.  But, once I purchased Body-Solid Tools Vinyl Dumbbells I was on the way to becoming a body builder.  Usually I take the dumbbells out on my walks with me to kill two birds with one stone.  But lately I have found a few fitness DVDs that allow me to pick my weight and work at my pace.

I’m on my way to my perfect beach body.  Summer is here and it’s time to get off my butt and start working out.

1 comment:

Post a Comment